2012 SONG AND TUNE WRITING AWARDS
“for an original song or tune in traditional or contemporary folk style”
- These awards are made to encourage creative music writing in Tasmania.
- An independent panel of judges will announce the major awards at a concert
Friday 16th November at Brookfield Margate
- The concert will feature the finalists. The decision will be made before the night but not announced until during the concert.
There are three categories, plus a Peoples’ Choice on the night of the concert
* Mike Silverwood Memorial Song Writing Award 1st $150
* Instrumental Award 1st $150
* Under 19 song or instrumental Award 1st $150
* Peoples Choice Award 1st $50
Eligible songs and tunes must be composed by a resident of Tasmania, must not have been entered in any other competition. They should be suitable for performance at the live concert. A composer can select a performer of their choice.
Entries to be submitted on a CD, clearly showing the name of the entry, with name, address, and telephone number. Entries will be judged on the submitted CD only. Please indicate if performer is not the composer.
Entry fee is $10 per piece. Free if current member of FFT.
Limit of 2 pieces per category.
Entries to be submitted by
Friday 5th October 2012 to
Peter Hicks c/o 1123 Pelverata Rd, Pelverata Tas
Electronic submissions by arrangement. Ring Peter on 0409 216 752
Judges’ decisions will be final and no discussion or correspondence will be entered into. Non FFT members with two entries will be offered a year’s subscription to FFT.
Judging criteria is that the song or tune fits comfortably into the “folk genre”. Generally this means acoustic pieces – but special consideration will be given to whether or not the song fits into the “tradition of folk song” be that Celtic, Balkan, Anglo, American or good old Australian styles.