2013 FFT Song and Tune Writing Awards
“for an original song or tune in traditional or contemporary folk style”
- These awards are made to encourage creative music writing in Tasmania.
- An independent panel of judges will announce the major awards at a concert at Brookfield Margate on Saturday 16th November, time 7:00pm
- The concert will feature all acts that have submitted applications and wish to perform. The judge’s decision will be made before the night but not announced until during the concert. A People’s Choice award will be decided on the night.
There are three categories, plus a Peoples’ Choice on the night of the concert
- Mike Silverwood Memorial Song Writing Award 1st $150
- Instrumental Award 1st $150
- Under 19 Song or Instrumental Award 1st $150
- People’s Choice Award 1st $50
Eligible songs and tunes must be composed by a resident of Tasmania and must not have been entered in any other competition. They should be suitable for performance at the live concert. A composer can select a performer of their choice.
Entries to be submitted by Friday 20th September 2013 either:
- on a CD, clearly showing the name of the entry, with name, address, and telephone number, to Peter Hicks, 1123 Pelverata Rd, Pelverata Tas 7150. Please include two copies of the song lyrics (without the artist’s name on them).
- by email of mp3 file plus wordprocessed/txt documents of lyrics (don’t include artist’s name on song lyrics). Send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Entries will be judged on the submitted recording only. Please indicate if performer is not the composer.
Tasmanian themes are strongly encouraged. There is a preference for simple arrangements – e.g., one guitar/instrument plus vocal.
Entry fee is $10 per piece, free if current member of FFT. Payment by cheque or by direct transfer to BSB: 633 000, Acct: 149 267 056, Name: Folk Federation of Tasmania, Bank: Bendigo with a description/memo of your surname and an email to email@example.com confirming payment.
Limit of 2 pieces per category.
Judges’ decisions will be final and no discussion or correspondence will be entered into.
Judging criteria is that the song or tune fits comfortably into the “folk genre”. Generally this means acoustic pieces – but special consideration will be given to whether or not the song or tune fits into the “tradition of folk music” be that Celtic, Balkan, Anglo, American or good old Australian styles.
Further information: ring Peter on 0409 216 752
Download entry form: 2013 Tasmanian Folk Federation Songwriting Competition