If you’re looking for a fun evening out, with a workout to great live music …
Hot tunes by Ross Smithard & Up Jumped Trouble
1st and 3rd Mondays of each month (Feb-Dec, except Easter)
(Except for 6th Feb, 20th Feb, 20th Mar 2023 – see folktas.org/balfolk)
7:15 for 7:30-9:30pm (warmup/beginner’s workshop 7:30-7:45)
St James Hall, 462 Elizabeth St, New Town (off Rupert Avenue just up the hill from Augusta Rd, enter behind church)
Dance callers Sarah Lewis and David Wanless (and if you’d like to try, ask us).
Fun, exercise and a great night out, with friendly people, to the music of one of Australia’s finest contra bands. Get your endorphins flowing.
Treat your ears to cracking new and old-time toons and support great, local, live music.
$7-15 at trybooking.com/YPTO or at the door.
All dances taught. No dancing experience or partner required.
All ages welcome. Dress and attitude: casual. BYO water bottle.
Supported by City of Hobart.
See the events list to the right of this page for the nearest forthcoming dances.
See also Hobart Dance Dates.
Contra dancing is a lively, social dance style from the USA which is moderately aerobic and highly addictive. Done to simple walking steps, it features flowing movements, swings and twirls, a chance to dance with everyone and the opportunity for improvisation (flourishes).
Come along and find out why they say that contra dancers are
“Traditional, progressive and frequently improper.”
See also What is Contra Dance?
Here are some videos, although the best way to find out what contra dancing is, is to try it!
- TasContra – Delphiniums and Daisies
- TasContra Stretching the Truth
- Mountain Madness 2013
- Crowfoot in Tacoma
- Wild Asparagus POV Contra Dance (might make you dizzy)
- Contrastock 2011 – Nils Fredland calls & crowdsurfs
- Contra Dance Introductory Session with George Marshall
- Contra Dance Beginner’s Session with Seth Tepfer part 1 and part 2
- Contra Dance with Perpetual E-motion
- Giant Robot Dance Contra Dance Fall LEAF Oct 20, 2013
- Contra Dance Flourishes: How to Do a Behind-the-Back Roll
FOLK FEDERATION OF TASMANIA INC
03 6273 2127
Facebook/Meetup: dance folk tasmania
If you’re not smiling, you’re not dancing!